Will and Magnus' helicopter crashes on a decommissioned oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico while carrying an abnormal. However, not only does the abnormal escape, but returns even angrier, threatening the lives of the two.
- Opening Scene
Dr. Helen Magnus and Dr. Will Zimmerman are in the cockpit of a small helicopter, and Will has problems keeping the vessel under control. A giant tentacle crashes through the cabin, and the helicopter goes down on an oil rig.
- Act I
In a flashback, Will and Magnus walk through the Old City Sanctuary, and Will tries his best to convince his boss to let him go to a conference in Reykjavík. She tells him that he has other things to do, as a Vampire Squid has been discovered in the Gulf of Mexico. As Henry Foss and Bigfoot are on vacation, and Magnus has to attend a meeting with her UN Security Council liaison in Berlin, Will will have to stay at the Sanctuary and cannot attend the conference even after they have secured the squid.
Back in the present, in the Tahiti Field Oil Reserve, 305 kilometers south of New Orleans, the helicopter has crashed into the oil platform and the squid has escaped.
Flashback: an hour earlier, Will helps Magnus to take the container with the vampire squid out of the water. He still tries to convince her to let him go to Reykjavík, but she refuses.
In the present, they cannot get a transponder signal, and the cables that hold the helicopter are getting more and more unstable. They argue about something always being in the way of private life, when a cable breaks and they are tossed into the water, where the vampire squid is circling. Magnus accuses Will of just wanting to meet with a woman that will be attending the conference, when suddenly Will is dragged beneath the water by the squid.
- Act II
Magnus gets a knife and stabs one of the creature's tentacles in order to free Will. They return to the surface and try to figure out a way to escape. Magnus wants to send the squid a message by putting an electric cable into the water, giving the creature a shock. However, this drains their only battery. While they change clothing, Magnus again marks how docile vampire squids normally are, but Will points out that this one actually brought down a chopper.
Flashback: An hour earlier, Will and Magnus continue their discussion after the container is secured in the helicopter. Magnus asks Will to sit in the back to take care of the creature, but as soon as they start, a tentacle breaks out of the container.
Back in the present, they check the helicopter for damage, and Will apologizes for not telling Magnus of the woman at the conference. He asks her if she doesn't ever need a break, which she answers with "not really". Will then asks her if she's ever been stranded at sea before and she replies that it happened only once, on April 14th 1912, implying she was on board of RMS Titanic. They discover that there are air vents in the walls around them, which they could use to escape. Magnus makes the trip with a transponder, while Will stays with the helicopter to distract the squid. However, when Magnus tries to open the vent, her arm gets sucked into it.
- Act III
Will comes to Magnus' rescue, and can save her only after the vent stops to suck on her arm. They return to the surface and have to make a new plan. Magnus realizes that their only chance is to use the cables all around them to connect the transponder to the wall and use the whole rig as an antenna to boost their signal. While they work, they continue to talk, and Will learns that Magnus only goes on vacation in her villa in Italy every seven years.
Eventually, Magnus sends a distress signal, but the battery is gone after only one try. Just at this moment, the squid returns without them noticing. They soon discover that their food reserves are gone, and Magnus finds a strange fluid on the hull of the helicopter. They open the hatch, and are ambushed by a giant, scorpion-like creature. Both Magnus and Will fall back into the water.
- Act IV
Magnus manages to close the hatch and explains that the creature is a Southern-Hemispheric Sea Scorpion, an extremely dangerous animal. Will asks how it got aboard, and Magnus remarks that she knew she wasn't that bad a pilot.
Flashback: When the helicopter starts an hour earlier, the scorpion jumps onto its hull in the last moment, and as soon as it is aboard, the squid gets aggressive and tries to hit the back section of the vessel with its tentacles.
Back in the present, they realize that the creatures must both have claimed the oil rig as their territory. Just when Magnus explains how intelligent the creature is, the scorpion escapes and attacks Will. Just then, the squid also shows up and the creatures engage in battle. Will is able to harpoon the squid with a tranquilizer arrow, while Magnus forces the sea scorpion back into the helicopter's engine.
They choose to sink the helicopter in order to get the two creatures away from them. To do this, they torch through the cables that still hold the vessel. Again, they find time to talk, and Will finds out that Magnus actually wants to meet with Olaf Van Ausberg, a rich friend of hers, in Munich.
At this moment, a cable ruptures and Will almost falls from the helicopter. The sea scorpion appears right on top of him.
- Act V
As the scorpion prepares to strike at Will, it is suddenly attacked by the vampire squid. However, the helicopter is still above the water, leaving the squid too little room to fight. Magnus gets the first aid kit and uses one of the signal torches to blow up the helicopter. The explosion destroys most of the vessel, and the wreck sinks to the bottom.
When they return to the surface, Magnus finally tells Will the real reason why she wants him to stay: next Tuesday is her dead daughter Ashley's birthday, and she did not want to be alone. He understands, and they end up joking, until Will asks how exactly they are going to get out of here.
Dr. Helen Magnus: Any landing you can swim away from.
Dr. Will Zimmerman: What is it with you and flying, anyway?
Dr. Helen Magnus: Two crashes in 158 years? That's not bad.
Dr. Will Zimmerman: They only invented flying 110 years ago, so...
Dr. Will Zimmerman: You must have been stranded at sea before.
Dr. Helen Magnus: Only once. April 14, 1912.
Dr. Will Zimmerman: So uh, the Titanic?
Dr. Helen Magnus: I was fished out of the water by Molly Brown. She pulled me into a life raft. I was very lucky.
- Series Regulars
- Guest Starring
Background, Notes, and Trivia
The abandoned oil rig that Will and Magnus crash into is called: Sonatech 'Red Dog II' Gas/Petroleum Production Platform. It's current status is: Decommissioned.
- This episode has a lot of similarities with the first season Episode 1x09 - "Requiem", in that Will and Magnus are alone at sea with only one other character appearing briefly on a computer screen. Just as in "Requiem", their characters and backgrounds are explored during the plot and they get a deeper understanding of each other.
- We learn that in 1912, Magnus was a passenger aboard the Titanic. She was fished out of the water and hauled into a lifeboat by Molly Brown.
- Will mentions that Magnus' friend Olaf owns the Bremen soccer team; that would be Werder Bremen, a club that in reality is not owned by a private owner.
- Either by coincidence or planned by the writers/creators, actress Emilie Ullerup's real 25th birthday of October 27th, 2009 also fell on a Tuesday of that year.
- In the episode, being that the next Tuesday is stated to be Ashley's birthday, it places this episode in the Summer months based on Ashley's comment about the "Summer of her 18th Birthday" back in Episode 1x02 - "Sanctuary For All, Part II". Since Helen references her own age in this episode as being 158, it means that Ashley's birthday takes place somewhere within the span of a few months just before Helen's on August 27th.
- Depending on when Episode 1x09 - "Requiem" took place in-universe, this birthday may either be Ashley's 24th or 25th depending on if she was born in 1984 or 1985.
- In the Sanctuary world the Vampire race was far more intelligent than humans. Helen says the vampire squid is so named because it is very intelligent for a squid. Actually it was so named because of its dark color, the hood-like membrane between its tentacles, and its red eyes.
- The tail number on the helicopter is NOX17J. The 'Nox' are a race of beings that were encountered on "Stargate SG-1"; a show that Amanda Tapping, Damian Kindler, and Martin Wood were all heavily involved in. The tail number is probably a nod to this association.
- While treading water after the chopper crash, Helen says she a had only once before been stranded at sea, on April 14th, 1912. That was the date the Titanic hit an iceberg. The ship did not sink, forcing passengers into the water, until 2 hours and 40 minutes later during the early morning of April 15th, 1912.
- In the Mayday call Magnus gives their location in degrees of longitude and latitude, no minutes or seconds. In the Gulf degrees of longitude (and latitude) are about 60 miles apart. Not being more precise leaves rescue parties with about 3000 square miles to search.
- Continuity Error: After being saved from drowning, Magnus puts her backpack on the helicopter landing skid grill, she turns, looks upwards at the array of cables holding the helicopter. The next frame shows Magnus with the backpack on her back again and she puts it down on the helicopter landing skid grill one more time.
- Spoof: "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" (2006) - Faced by a tentacle-flailing squid, Dr. Magnus says, "Hello, beastie." This is identical to Jack Sparrow's reaction when faced by the Kraken.
Media Gallery | Photos and Video
References, External Links, and Websites
|Sanctuary Season 2|
|● End of Nights, Part I ● End of Nights, Part II ● Eulogy ● Hero ● Pavor Nocturnus ● Fragments ● Veritas ● Next Tuesday ● Penance ● Sleepers ● Haunted ● Kali, Part I ● Kali, Part II ●|